ISTQB (International Software Testing Qualifications Board) has created the world's most successful scheme for certifying software testers. It was founded in 2002, as a non-profit association, being composed of volunteer international Testing Experts. As of June 2013, ISTQB has issued over 307,000 certifications in 70 countries world-wide, with a growth rate of approximately 12,000 certifications per quarter. The scheme relies on a Body of Knowledge (Syllabi and Glossary) and exam rules that are applied consistently all over the world, with exams and supporting material being available in many languages.
ISTQB has defined three levels of syllabi, that are publicly available for download from the ISTQB Website (http://www.istqb.org/downloads.html)
- Advanced (Test Manager, Test Analyst, Technical Test Analyst)
- Expert (Improving the Test Process, Test Management, Test Automation, Security Testing, etc.)
The Foundation Level Syllabus forms the basis for the International Software Testing Qualification at the Foundation Level.
The Foundation Level qualification is aimed at anyone involved in software testing. This includes people in roles such as testers, test analysts, test engineers, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers and software developers.
This Foundation Level qualification is also appropriate for anyone who wants a basic understanding of software testing, such as project managers, quality managers, software development managers, business analysts, IT directors and management consultants. Holders of the Foundation Certificate will be able to go on to a higher level software testing qualification.
ISTQB training content for 3 days (foundation level)
- Tests fundamentals
- Testing during a software's lifecycle
- Static techniques
- Designing tests techniques
- Supporting software testing tools
- Tests management
This training is insured in collaboration with a partner, in order to have access to the official course papers.
- ISTQB certification can provide a competitive advantage for companies, promising a higher level of reliability of the applications being developed due to efficient and cost effective testing practices derived from the ISTQB® competencies
- Consulting companies with certified staff can offer higher-level services to customers, increasing revenues and brand value
- ISTQB has defined a "Partner Program" for companies that engage a large number of certified testers
See also: training to software testing profession offered by ALL4TEST.